Entry and residence regulations

On this page you find information on the following topics:

Entry into Austria / visa

Exchange students and Erasmus+ trainees are bound by the same regulations regarding entry into Austria and taking up residence here as other people entering Austria and wanting to stay here for a longer period of time. Which regulations apply depends on your citizenship.

The obligation to register your residence applies for everybody, regardless of their citizenship.


  • Entry for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens

    EU/EEA and Swiss citizens only require a valid passport or ID card to enter Austria.
    Those who stay in Austria for more than three months are obliged to apply for a Confirmation of Registration ("Anmeldebescheinigung" - in German) at the Municipal Department 35 (Immigration and Citizenship, "Magistratsabteilung 35, Einwanderung, Staatsbürgerschaft").
    This registration is required in addition to the registration of your residence at the Municipal District Office!
    The registration has to be conducted within four months of your arrival in Austria.

    You must register at
    Magistratsabteilung 35 Fachbereich Einwanderung Referat 5.0 - Außenstelle EWR (if your address in Vienna is in one of the districts 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, or 23)

    or Magistratsabteilung 35 Fachbereich Einwanderung Referat 5.1 - Außenstelle EWR (if your address in Vienna is in one of the districts 1, 2, 9, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, or 22)


    For the application you will need the following documents – originals and copies:

    • Form "Anmeldebescheinigung und Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts für Personen mit EWR- oder Schweizer Staatsangehörigkeit" (see "Formular")
    • Valid ID card or passport
    • Proof of adequate health insurance cover (e.g. European Health Insurance card)
    • Confirmation of admission by the university ("Certificate of Arrival" – will be given to you at the International Office – and your student ID card)
    • Proof of sufficient financial means (e.g. scholarship, bank account statement, confirmation from parents regarding maintenance payments).
      For students under 24 years of age: ~ € 673 per month,
      For students over 24 years of age: ~ € 1218 per month
      (plus the costs of accommodation if the rent exceeds ~ € 359 per month)
    • Payment of the administrative fee (“Ausstellungsgebühr”), currently ~ € 29


    Further information:

    Information by the Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research (OeAD)

  • Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries

    Exchange students who are citizens of non-EU/EEA countries (third countries) might require a visa for Austria, even if they have a residence permit from another European country.

    Please note that incoming students and trainees are responsible for applying for a visa themselves. The International Office is not involved in the application process. As processing a visa application may take several weeks or even months, we strongly advise you to file your application as soon as possible.

    There are different regulations depending on how long you wish to stay in Austria:

    • Entry into Austria, stays up to 6 months:
      If you are going to study in Austria for less than 6 months, you require either a Schengen Travel Visa C ("Reisevisum C, Schengenvisum") or a National Visa D (for stays in Austria of at least between 91 days and 6 months).
    • Stays for more than 6 months:
      Third country citizens who do not have a residence permit from another EU member state and who wish to reside in Austria for more than 6 months require a Residence Permit for Students ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung Student").

    You might need your admission letter to apply for your visa. You will receive your admission letter by 15 June (for stays beginning in the winter semester), or 15 December (for stays beginning in the summer semester) at the latest. Should you require the admission letter prior to this, please contact us via e-mail.

    If you need the original copy of your Learning Agreement, please contact your mobility coordinator in good time.


    Further information:

    Information by the Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research (OeAD)

  • Registration of your residence

    According to the Registration Law ("Österreichisches Meldegesetz"), everybody is obliged to register their residence in Austria with the authorities within three days of their arrival in Vienna at the Municipal District Office ("Magistratisches Bezirksamt"). The registration applies for everybody, regardless of their citizenship.
    Additionally, any change of residential address has to be reported to the registration office within three working days, any change of other data has to be reported within one month. Please keep your residence registration document ("Meldebestätigung") as you will require it for all kinds of applications.
    You must also de-register with the authorities before you leave Austria.


    Registration Procedure

    You can register your residence at any Municipal District Office ("Magistratisches Bezirksamt") or at the Municipal Department 62 ("Magistratsabteilung 62, Zentrales Meldeservice"). Here you can arrange an appointment for the registration online.
    To register
    you need the following documents:

    The following only applies to Erasmus+ trainees:
    After registering your residence you will receive a residence registration document ("Meldezettel"). You must send a scan of the residence registration document to the Human Resources Department.

    Main residence/secondary residence

    During registration you must register your address as your main ("Hauptwohnsitz") or your secondary residence ("Nebenwohnsitz"). The term "main residence" in the residence registration form ("Meldezettel") refers to the accommodation around which somebody has centred their life and personal relations. If this applies to several places of residence, the one to which you have the closest personal relationship will be regarded as your main residence, while the others are secondary residences. To determine somebody’s focal point of life, various criteria need to be considered, such as how long they are planning to stay there and the location of the educational establishment.

    Further information:

    Information from the Viennese authorities regarding registering your residence

Health Insurance


  • Student self-insurance

    Students who do not have compulsory public health insurance but have taken up residence in Austria can take out a student self-insurance policy with the Österreichische Gesundheitskasse. The student self-insurance policy can be obtained by any international student, regardless of their nationality. Students from non-EU/EEA countries who arrive in Vienna early in September or February (in order to attend a German course, for example) can only apply for this insurance plan from 1 October or 1 March, respectively. 

    The insurance premium is currently € 69.13 per month. This insurance enables you to receive medical treatment free of charge. This, however, applies exclusively to treatments which are medically necessary during your stay in Austria. Regular medical check-ups or screenings are not covered. 

    You will need the following documents to apply:

    • The completed application form
    • Up-to-date enrolment documents (“Studienblatt” and “Studienbestätigung”)
    • Photo ID or passport (containing any visa for Austria)
    • Confirmation of registration from your Municipal District Office (“Magistratisches Bezirksamt”) 

    You can either submit your application to the headquarters of the Österreichische Gesundheitskasse in Vienna or to one of the branches in the districts . The branches, however, do not process your application but just forward it to the headquarters, which prolongs the process. If you require the insurance as soon as possible, you might want to submit your application to their headquarters directly. 


The University of Vienna does not have its own student halls of residence. Students are therefore responsible for organising accommodation for their stay in Vienna themselves. We strongly recommend starting to search for accommodation as soon as possible, especially if you are going to stay in a hall of residence.
Please note that we only provide information on this website. We do not mediate between landlords and tenants, nor do we accept any liability in this respect.

Please be very careful if you are asked by landlords in Austria to transfer rents or deposits in advance to a foreign bank account in order to get your key. This might be attempted fraud! The global housing platform HousingAnywhere offers a safe and secure booking system which can prevent this kind of scam.