On this page you find information about the requirements for a Non-EU Student Exchange visit at the University of Vienna:


Students from non-European partner universities are able to study at the University of Vienna for one or two semesters under the Non-EU Student Exchange Program provided that the University of Vienna has concluded an exchange agreement with the student's home university and that the student has been nominated for a Non-EU Student Exchange visit by the partner university. Nominated students must be at least 18 years of age and completed at least two semesters at the home university.

The nomination is undertaken exclusively via our online nomination system (Mobility Online). The necessary data will be sent to the partner university by e-mail.      

Deadlines for nomination: 1 May for the winter semester, 1 October for the summer semester

After you have been nominated by your home university, you will receive an e-mail with information on the registration procedure.

Language Requirements

The University of Vienna expects all incoming exchange students to have German language level of B2 (CEFR) for all fields of study except German Philology. If a sufficient amount of courses taught in English is offered by the respective study field at the University of Vienna, the required language level in English also corresponds to B2.

For students studying German Studies – German Philology, German as a Second and Foreign Language – at the University of Vienna the new required level of German is C1. 

Exchange students who wish to study at the University of Vienna generally do not need an official language certificate. 


  • If you would like to take courses in English and American Studies, you need to submit proof of your English language skills (at least B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference)
  • The Faculty of Business, Economics and Statistics also requires a B2 certificate in English, or alternatively a TOEFL (minimum 80) or IELTS (minimum 6) exam.
  • For courses at the Centre of Translation Studies your home university has to confirm your German skills. A level of B2 (bachelor) or C1 (master) is required.



Courses taught in English or languages other than German

To find out whether there are enough courses taught in English or in other languages in your field of study, click on your field of study in the course catalogue u:find (for example, Bachelor degree programme Business Administration). Courses which are taught in a language other than German are marked with a blue button indicating the language of instruction.