Erasmus+ Blended Intensive Programmes

Erasmus+ Blended Intensive Programmes (BIPsare teaching/learning elements jointly delivered by several universities, combining virtual components with short-term physical mobility (min. 5 – max. 30 days). Below you can find information on the following topics:

Information for lecturers at the University of Vienna wanting to organise a BIP can be found here.

Before your stay

The application for an Erasmus+ BIP takes place at your home university. Please inquire at your home university if they are planning a BIP with the University of Vienna, and how you can participate. Your home university is also your contact point for any questions regarding a possible grant payment via the Erasmus+ programme.

After your application, your home university has to nominate you for your exchange at the University of Vienna. The nomination deadlines are:

  • 1 February for BIPs taking place in the summer semester (= exchanges between March and September)
  • 1 August for BIPs taking place in the winter semester (= exchanges between October and February)

You will receive more information regarding your admission and registration at the University of Vienna by e-mail after your nomination.


We will contact you after your nomination for more information on your registration and admission at the University of Vienna. The necessary registration steps are:

  • Creating a u:account and registering in Mobility Online
  • Adding personal data and declaring your consent to the processing of personal data
  • Registering in u:space and ordering your u:card (= student ID)  

You will receive detailed information and personalised deadlines for each step. Please complete the steps only after you have been asked to do so by the Erasmus+ BIP team, and please respect the deadlines – otherwise we cannot guarantee your admission!

Entry into Austria and insurance


EU/EEA and Swiss citizens only require a valid passport or ID card to enter Austria.

Exchange students who are citizens of non-EU/EEA countries (third countries) might require a visa for Austria, even if they have a residence permit from another European country.

Please note that incoming students and trainees are responsible for applying for a visa themselves. The International Office is not involved in the application process. As processing a visa application may take several weeks or even months, we strongly advise you to file your application as soon as possible. More information on visa and entry regulations is provided on the homepage of the Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research (OeAD).



Erasmus+ students are responsible for making sure that they have sufficient health and/or travel insurance coverage. In general, EU citizens are covered by their European Health Insurance Card. The EHIC card entitles you to see a doctor with the right health insurance contract ("Kassenarzt") in Austria and to receive free medical treatment for all treatments which are medically necessary during your stay in Austria. Regular medical check-ups or screenings are not covered. 

If you are not sufficiently insured, you have to take care of finding a suitable health and/or travel insurance plan for your stay.  

You will be enrolled as a regular student at the University of Vienna for your Erasmus+ BIP. With your enrolment, you will become a member of the Austrian National Union of Students (= Österreichische Hpchschüler*innenschaft, ÖH), through which you have a personal accident and general liability insurance for study-related activities.  

Important documents for your stay

The following documents are important for the organisation of your BIP exchange:

  • Learning Agreement: Your home university provides you with more information on how to create your Learning Agreement. They also sign your Learning Agreement as „sending institution“. At the University of Vienna, your mobility coordinator can sign your Learning Agreement as the „receiving institution”. You will receive more information on who your mobility coordinator is by e-mail.
  • Confirmation of stay: Your BIP lecturers at the University of Vienna can sign this document. Your home university should provide you with a template for this confirmation.  
  • Transcript of Records: You can download your Transcript of Records after receiving your grade on u:space. You will receive an e-mail once your grade has been recorded on your transcript.

Your stay in Vienna

You can find useful information for your stay in Vienna (public transport, medical services, …) as well as for the University of Vienna’s services (libraries, computer rooms, …) here: