Logo der Universität Wien

Entry into Austria and taking up residence

Exchange students are bound to the same regulations regarding entry into Austria and taking up residence here as other people entering Austria and wanting to stay in Austria for a longer period of time. Which regulations apply depends on your citizenship. The following topics are important:

Information on health insurance.

Entry and residence requirements

1. EU/EEA and Swiss citizens

EU/EEA and Swiss citizens only require a valid passport or ID card to enter Austria.

Those who stay in Austria for more than three months are obliged to apply for a Confirmation of Registration ("Anmeldebescheinigung" at the Municipal Department 35 (Immigration and Citizenship, "Magistratsabteilung 35, Einwanderung, Staatsbürgerschaft").

2. Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries (third country citizens)

Exchange students with a citizenship of non-EU/EEA countries might require a visa for Austria, even if they have a residence permit from another European country

Please note that incoming students are responsible for their visa application by themselves. The International Office is not involved in the application process. As processing a visa application may take up several weeks or even months, we strongly advise you, to file your application as early as possible. As you will have to await the approval of your application in your home country, you should submit your application at least three months before you are going to arrive in Austria.

You might require the originals of your "Letter of Acceptance" and your Learning Agreement for your visa application; if so, please let us know as early as possible so that we can send it to you via mail in time and do also provide a shipping address. Please bear in mind, however, that the signing of the Learning Agreement will take a certain period of time as your mobility coordinator will have to go over and sign it. 

There are different regulations depending on how long you wish to stay in Austria:

  • Entry into Austria, stays up to 6 months
    If you are going to stay in Austria for less than 6 months, you require either a Schengen Travel Visa C ("Reisevisum C, Schengenvisum") or a  National Visa D (for stays in Austria of at least 91 days up to a maximum of 6 months).

  • Stays for more than 6 months
    Third country citizens who wish to reside in Austria for more than 6 months require a Residence Permit for Students ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung Studierender"). If you are not entitled to enter Austria visa-free the application for a residence permit must generally be submitted in person at the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate general) in your country of residence before travelling to Austria. The application will be forwarded to Austria by the representative authority and processed by the competent residence authority within Austria. Since you have to await the decision regarding your application in your country of residence, you should apply at least 3 months before the intended entry to Austria. If the residence permit is granted, you have to apply for a National Visa D for entry to Austria as the residence permit itself has to be fetched in Austria.

Further information regarding entry requirements and residence regulations can be found on the website of the Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research (OeAD).

Registration of your residence

According to the Registration Law ("Österreichisches Meldegesetz") everybody is obliged to register their residence in Austria with the authorities within three days of their arrival at the Municipal District Office ("Magistratisches Bezirksamt"). There are no exceptions to this rule. The obligation to register applies for everybody, regardless of his or her citizenship.

Additionally, any change of the residential address has to be reported to the registration office within three working days, any change of other data has to be reported within one month. Please keep your registration document ("Meldezettel") as you will require it for all kinds of applications.

You must also deregister with the authorities before you leave Austria.

Registration Procedure

You can register your residence at any Municipal District Office ("Magistratisches" Bezirksamt") or at the Municipal Department 62 ("Magistratsabteilung 62, Zentrales Meldeservice"). You can arrange an appointment for the registration online (in German), however, this is not mandatory. Please bring the following documents: 

Main residence or secondary residence?

According to the Municipal Department 62 the term “main residence” ("Hauptwohnsitz") in the form “Meldezettel” refers to the accommodation around which somebody has centered their life and personal relations. In case this applies to several places of residence, the one to which you have the closest personal relationship will be regarded as your main residence, while the others are secondary residences. To determine somebody’s focal point of life, various criteria need to be considered, such as for example, how long he/she is planning to stay there and where other family members and relatives are currently living.

Exchange students usually stay only for a period of a few months (up to a year) in Austria. Therefore, their accommodation in Austria is considered as a secondary residence, as their personal interests and relations are still centered in their respective home country. Hence, exchange students should register their accommodation in Vienna as secondary residence.

Further information:

Confirmation of Registration ("Anmeldebescheinigung") for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens

ALL EU/EEA and Swiss citizens who stay in Austria for more than 3 months are obliged to register with the Municipal Department 35 (“Immigration“) (Magistratsabteilung 35, “Einwanderung“) in order to receive a Confirmation of Registration ("Anmeldebescheinigung").

This registration is required in addition to the registration of your residence at the Municipal District Office! Non-compliance with this regulation can be punished with a fine up to € 250.

The registration has to be conducted within 4 months of your arrival. We will provide you with additional information during our "Orientation" at the International Office.

Magistratsabteilung 35 Fachbereich Einwanderung Referat 5.0
Außenstelle EWR

Arndtstr. 67, 1st floor (Entrance "Stiege 1" - staircase 1)
1120 Wien
Tel.: +43 1 4000 35338
Web: Confirmation of Registration ("Anmeldebescheinigung")
Email: 50-ref@ma35.wien.gv.at
Office hours: daily 8.00 am to 12.00 pm (except Wednesdays), Thursdays also 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm.

For the application you require the following documents - originals and copies!:

  • Form "Anmeldebescheinigung und Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts für Personen mit EWR- oder Schweizer Staatsangehörigkeit" (in German only, see "Formular"- sample form in English)
  • Valid ID card or passport
  • Confirmation of the residence registration at a Municipal District Office (Magistratisches Bezirksamt) (“Meldezettel”)
  • Proof of adequate health insurance cover (e.g. European Health Insurance card)
  • Confirmation of admission by the university (student ID card and "Certificate of Arrival" - will be given to you at the International Office)
  • Proof of sufficient financial means (e.g. scholarship, bank account statement, confirmation from parents regarding maintenance payments):
    for students less than 24 years of age: ~ € 503 per month
    for students more than 24 years of age: ~ € 910 per month
    (plus the costs for accommodation, if the rent exceeds ~ € 288 per month)
  • Payment of administrative fee ("Ausstellungsgebühr"), currently ~ € 29

Further information:

University of Vienna | Universitätsring 1 | 1010 Vienna | T +43-1-4277-0